Selected Recent Legal Publications, Articles & Client Updates:
- EEOC's Disabilities Guidance Updates Coincides with the APA's Manual of Mental Disorders Update
- The D.C. Circuit Voids the NLRB's "Recess" Appointments
- FMLA Leave is Now Available to Same-Sex Spouses in All States Where Same-Sex Marriage is Recognized
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Strikes Down NLRB Rule Requiring Employers to Post Union Rights Poster
- EEOC Statement re Wellness Programs and Employer Reasonable Accommodation Obligations
- Classification of Workers as Independent Contractors or Employees
- New OFCCP Directive-Federal Contractors and Subcontractors are Cautioned Against Blanket Exclusions Based on Criminal Record
- Federal Contractors Beware Update
"NLRB Imposes Notice Posting Requirement Effective"
"Beware the Independent Contractor Classification"
"U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit Invalidates All Waivers and Releases of FMLA Claims Unless Pre-Approved by a Court or by the U.S. Department of Labor"
"The ADA Amendments Greatly Expand the Americans With Disabilities Act and Create Substantial New Obligations for Employers."
"Regulatory Alert: President Obama’s U.S. Department of Labor to Challenge Employee and Independent Contractor “Misclassifications"
"Avoiding Punitive Damages in Discrimination/Harassment Lawsuits"
"Employment Law Update"
"Final Overtime Regulations under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)*"
"Overview of Selected Uniformed Service Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) Requirements"
"Maryland’s Civil Rights Preservation Act"
"Requirement for Federal Contractors to Post Notice of Employee NLRA Rights Takes Effect"
"Employee Sick Leave: Developing, Implementing, and Enforcing Your Policy," National Association of Legal Administrators.
"The Virginia Supreme Court Imposes Personal Liability on Managerial and Supervisory Personnel in Wrongful Discharge Cases"
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit Invalidates Unsupervised Waivers and Releases of FMLA Claims.
Avoiding Punitive Damages in Discrimination and Harassment Lawsuits.
Legal Developments Regarding Employee Compensation & Benefit Programs in Maryland: Medex v. McCabe: Conditions of Incentive Compensation Payment Based on Arbitrary Factors Will Not Be Enforced; McLaughlin v. Murphy: Conditions of Payment Based on Reasonable Job Requirements Will Be Enforced; and Stevenson v. Branch Banking & Trust Co.: Severance Pay and Stock Options May Be Considered Statutory "Wages" Under MWPCA.
- "Recommendations Regarding Employment Termination: Basic “Do’s” and “Don’ts" to Protect Your Company," Maryland Chamber of Commerce.
- "What’s Age Got to Do With It?" Athletic Management.
- "Employment Practices Liability Insurance: An Ounce of Prevention in the Risk Management Landscape," Maryland State Bar Association.
- "Classification of Workers as Independent Contractors or Employees," Messenger Courier Association of the Americas.
- "Overview of Selected Federal Employment Discrimination and Equal Employment Opportunity Laws," District of Columbia Bar.
- "Employment Law is Hot! Learn What All Lawyers Need to Know", District of Columbia Bar.
- "Training Programs for Supervisory and Managerial Personnel, and For Employees: Discharging the Employer’s Duty to Identify, Prevent, Train For, Respond To, and Correct Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment."
- "Diversity Training: Recognizing Diversity and Avoiding Myths & Stereotypes in the Workplace."
- Fair Labor Standards Act Developments and White Collar Overtime Exemption Compliance Update.
- "Successfully Protecting Your Company's Most Valuable Business Assets - Your Customers, Trade Secrets, Business Information, Employees, and Goodwill."